Pages

Monday 8 January 2018

Simple linen indoor cap

 Hello! My goodness, it's been quite a while since I posted here.
This is my last project of 2017, and I shall do my 2017 review post soon too.
 A while ago I saw this photo-set of simple linen caps, which looked like a nice and practical thing to make. I was aiming for one like this.
Detail from Le Marchand d’Orviétan ou l’opérateur Barri by Etienne Jeaurat, 1743.
 I cut a rectangle of plain off-white linen to fit my head, sewed it into a tube with a flat felled seam, then did a narrow hem at one end and a wide hem at the other. I'd originally intended for the bottom hem to be narrow too, but the tube came out a bit too long so I made it wider.
Hat tube. I like the wider hem at the bottom, it makes it more sturdy.
 I carefully scrunched the top together and tied it with a ribbon. I didn't want to permanently stitch the top gathers together, because being a plain simple tube makes it very easy to wash and press, and it needs fairly regular washing.

I have no silk ribbon at all in my stash, so I tied it with this green synthetic one. Someday I will swap it out for a nicer ribbon.
The finished cap, all tied! I made it on Dec. 25th, and I've taken the ribbon
off and washed it twice so far, as it gets rather greasy after a while.
It's hand sewn with silk thread, and I think it took about 2 or 3 hours. I am pretty pleased with it! I'm not sure how accurate it is, since the paintings don't show much detail and the one extant one is of a somewhat different design.
 It's much more flopped down in the back than the ones in the paintings, so perhaps I still made it too long? Or maybe my linen is a bit heavier than theirs. I don't mind though, it fits well and keeps my head warm.


1 comment:

  1. You got it made just in time for the cold weather. You can conserve about 10% of your body heat by covering your head. It looks pretty simple to make. You did a great job.
    Hugs, Mamoo

    ReplyDelete