Pages

Tuesday 3 March 2015

Asexual Flag Pirate Sash

I just finished making a sash. It's a pretty small project since I've been busy with my line and haven't had much time to work on my own clothes.

Now, I've never had any cause to bring it up on this blog before, but I am asexual. That means I don't experience sexual attraction to anybody at all. You may not have heard of it, since it's one of those orientations that gets literally no media representation. I recommend checking out Julie Sondra Decker's youtube channel to learn more.

This is the asexual flag:
Nice colour scheme, isn't it?
A while ago I came across this asexual pirate joke and thought a pirate sash in the asexual flag colours would be a fun project.

Here's my sketch.
 I cut 4 strips of silk dupioni. One in black, one grey, and two in cream because I didn't have anything lighter. I dyed one of the cream strips purple and sewed all four together lengthwise.
 I flat felled the seams.
 I changed the top and bottom thread colours with every seam so that the thread always matched the fabric it was on.
 I hemmed the two long raw edges by machine and the short ends by hand.
A short end partially hemmed.
 The finished sash measures 43.5 cm by 3.2 m, making it long enough to wrap around my waist twice and leave some decent tails.

 Look at how high the snowbanks are.


I'm squinting because the sun is in my eyes.
I realize that I haven't done a post yet on the line I'm working on for school. I should do one soon.

12 comments:

  1. And I love you for who you are. Nice colorful sash and it looks like a lot of work.
    That's a mountain of snow in the background.
    Mamoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't knoe there was an asexual flag, but I love the colours! And it suits you really well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the colours too! I was so happy when I found out that the asexual flag was in a Goth friendly colour scheme.

      Delete
  3. You didn't mention your lovely clocked socks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The sash is beautiful, in color and construction. It's so fun to see how you perfectly recreated your drawing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's a bit narrower in the drawing but it is pretty close.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful sash and thanks for sharing something so personal. I've been lurking on your blog for a while now, but I just wanted to let you know how much I love your creations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Though I wouldn't call it "something so personal". It's just a basic fact about who I am. No more personal then when a straight couple talks about how happy they are to be a couple.

      Delete
  6. This has made me so happy. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mira, this is great. FYI, you might be interested to know that original pirate flags were dyed with Logwood, which is typically a purple dye (a natural dye) but when used with an iron oxide mordant, it turns to black. It is the only real natural dye that will dye a half-decent black. I think you might find this interesting given your colour scheme. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete