Pages

Sunday 15 December 2013

Blue- Grey Cravat

Yay! School is out for the holidays, now I can get back to sewing.
For HSF challenge # 25, we had to make something using no more than one metre of fabric, so I made another cravat.
Well, I guess it's technically a neckerchief, but I'm just going to keep calling it a cravat. I had two pieces of silk I had been planning to make into cravats, a silvery grey one and a blue grey one. The silvery one was slightly longer than a metre, so I had to use the bluish one, which was smaller.
A square being hemmed.
There isn't much to say about the construction. It's just a square with hemmed edges, almost the same as the first cravat I made. I used a slipstitch.
This time I didn't have to pull evil threads from the edges because I had a spool of silk thread that was a decent match.
Photographed against an unrelated fabric.

The finished cravat, with wrinkles from being worn.
 The edges came out nicely even, with only minor wobbles.
Two of the corners, the right side below and the wrong side on top.
When folded diagonally and rolled up, the cravat was a decent length.


Here it is all rolled up, with wrinkles from being worn.


The Challenge: #25: One Metre
Fabric: An 87.5 cm square of plain weave silk.
Pattern: None
Year: That's rather difficult to narrow down, but I think it's suitable for the first half of the 19th century.
Notions: Silk thread
How historically accurate is it? Pretty good. I don't think the fabric and thread are of perfectly accurate quality, but I don't see how the pattern or construction could be wrong with such a simple project.
Hours to complete: About 4.5 - 5. I forgot to write down my finish time at one point, so I had to guess.
First worn: Saturday, Dec 14th, 2013
Total cost: $ 0.00
Cravats are nice accessories to have, but they certainly don't give one much to post about. The next few projects I have lined up are far more exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment